Monday, March 13, 2006

 

Geek to Live: Top Windows tweaks

Geek to Live: Top Windows tweaks: Windows XP - Lifehacker

by Gina Trapani


After I wiped my hard drive clean and reinstalled Windows XP last week, I booted up into an pristine, default operating system - that felt a lot like a hotel room just before I rolled my luggage in, tossed my jacket on the couch, unmade the bed and set my toothbrush next to the sink. I had no idea how many changes I'd made to Windows to fit my preferences over the years until they were all undone.


Today I've got a list of the most important Windows customizations that make my PC feel like a place I can get work done in more smoothly and easily. Hop in for a quick ride around Windows dialogs, tabs, menus and toolbars to get your XP fitting like a glove.


This list is not exhaustive, and obviously these are all a matter of personal preference. I'd love to hear what unique Windows settings work for you and why, so let us know how you customize your Windows desktop in the comments or in an email to tips at lifehacker.com.

Gina Trapani, the editor of Lifehacker, is concerned she just offended all her friends who work at Microsoft. Her semi-weekly feature, Geek to Live, appears every Wednesday and Friday on Lifehacker. Subscribe to the Geek to Live feed to get new installments in your newsreader.

'
Comment on this post
Related: Ask Lifehacker: Free up space on a hand me down computer?
Related: Windows Tip: Disable the Send To menu
Related: Download of the Day: freeSSHd<



(Via Lifehacker.)


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?