Sunday, February 19, 2006

 

How NOT to talk

How NOT to talk:

Conversationalists Dean and Laura VanDruff post an exhaustive list of ways people can cheat in conversations, like:

OVER YOUR HEAD:

"I'd like to respond to that, but taking into account your background, education, and intelligence, I am quite sure that you would not be able to understand."

EVEN YOU:


"My next point will be so cogent that even you will be able to understand it."


"Even you should be able to grasp the next point."


YOU'LL GET OVER IT:

"I used to think that way when I was your age."


"As you mature emotionally (or mentally, or spiritually), you will grow out of your present way of thinking, and you will eventually come around to my point of view."


"You're new here, aren't you?"

The purpose of the list is to recognize when others - or you! - use these types of conversational scare tactics. This is a handy link to add in online forum or email thread that degrades into a flamewar. Reference the article, and call out the particular technique used by the offender. Harsh? Maybe. But I would've thought the same thing at your age.

'
Comment on this post
Related: How to whistle loudly with two fingers
Related: How To Roundup
Related: Build your own social web app with Ning



(Via Lifehacker.)


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?